Air conditioner repair can not only make the cold air blast from the unit at a higher rate, it can cost less, too. An ounce of preventative maintenance is always worth a pound of cure. It’s important to do this before summer’s hot temperatures are here or you’ll be waiting in line with everyone else who procrastinated. Here are some preventative measures to take to save money and keep the AC in topnotch shape:
– Change the filters on a regular basis. This is one of the most important preventative maintenance chores and should be done throughout the year on a monthly basis. It’s a good idea to stock up on your system’s size filters so the change is easy to perform when the date rolls around. Pick a date that’s easy to remember such as the first or the last Saturday of the month.
– Belts in the unit should always be checked in order to take note of wear and tear. It’s wise to fix them before they snap and the HVAC unit isn’t functioning.
– Lubricate fan bearings and clean the blades. ac repair orlando The motor should be lubricated, too. Check over the workings and replace or repair any broken components.
– Check for faulty ductwork. Is everything attached as it should be? Tighten up anything that’s loose.
– Is there any loose wiring? Tighten this as well.
– Make sure that the refrigerant is at the appropriate level. If not, refill and scout around for potential signs of leakage.
– Are any of the exchanger fins bent on the coil? If so, straighten them out. Is the condenser coil clean or does it need to be wiped free of debris?
– Check out the condensate pan. This should be cleaned and monitored each month. If it seems to have an excessive buildup of dirt, tablets may be placed to reduce the amount of sediment and grime which tends to accumulate. These tablets are available at the local hardware store.
– How is the thermostat working? Does it react as it should when the temp is adjusted? It should cool upon command in a relatively short amount of time.
– In very hot climates, it’s best to keep the unit running even when on vacation or at work. Keeping the house relatively cooled off to approximately 85 – 90 degrees instead of 110 degrees will be much easier on the system. Having to bring a household’s temps up 20 or 30 degrees on a regular basis can be taxing for the unit and will cost a lot, too.
– Are there clanking or groaning noises in the unit? This may be a red flag that something is amiss and a technician should be called in.
– How about lights in the control panel? If this isn’t working, it could mean that a bulb or fuse has been blown.
If regular maintenance is performed on a HVAC system, less costly air conditioner repair bills are likely to occur. The more efficient the system is running, the less money it will cost to cool off your home or office building. There are lots of simple steps a homeowner can take to keep the AC up and running.